The 2020 SPDG Program Area Meeting (Tuesday, July 21st from 2:30-4:00 ET) is being held virtually this year.
We will meet to consider how your SPDG can prepare for the Fall.
Carole Carr (GA Communications and Family Engagement Specialist) and Melissa Hanasch (Statewide Director for the IL MTSS-N) will provide ideas about how to equitably meet the needs of children, family, and educators within a framework of multi-tiered systems of supports (MTSS). To prepare, please watch the recorded presentation from Dr. George Sugai at Washington’s MTSS Fest: https://youtu.be/r-zRDNZlw14?t=1300 (note this should start at time stamp 21:40).
As you watch, please listen for these themes:
o When school starts the triangle is going to look different
Tier 1 needs to meet more needs
Other educators will also have needs
o It’s about the Relationships
Need to understand children and their families more than ever
Consider what other educators, families, children may need
Use practices we know work and modify them to meet the needs of more students
Simplify: Choose a few key practices that have good effects and implement well
o What can you do Now, 1 week before school, During?
Carole Carr – MTSS Communications & Family Engagement Specialist, Georgia Department of Education.
Dr. Melissa Hannasch
- Culturally responsive teaching: https://educationnorthwest.org/sites/default/files/resources/culturally-responsive-teaching-508.pdf
- CEEDAR’s Culturally Relevant Education Modules: https://ceedar.education.ufl.edu/cems/culturally-relevant-education/
- MTSS for English Learners: https://www.mtss4els.org/resources/briefs
- Virtual, hybrid, or in-person school considerations: https://www.pbis.org/resource/returning-to-school-during-and-after-crisis
- This guidance document is written to support states, districts, schools, educators, and students through a Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Framework during the 2020-2021 school year.
Created through a collaborative partnership with: Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports; State Implementation and Scaling up of Evidence-Based Practices Center; National Integrated Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Research Network; National Center on Improving Literacy; Lead for Literacy Center
- Supporting Students with Disabilities at School and Home: https://www.pbis.org/resource/supporting-students-with-disabilities-at-school-and-home-a-guide-for-teachers-to-support-families-and-students